Managing Director, USC Digital Economy Program, LA
Location: Los Angeles, CA - Onsite
Managing Director, Techstars USC
Comp: $180,000 - $195,000 + 15% Bonus + Benefits.
The Managing Director (MD) is responsible for the success of the accelerator program and serves as a catalyst for the founders’ success in the program. The MD serves as a coach, connector, and curator for the founder population, as well as a thought leader and brand ambassador in the external global market.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Define the strategic direction and investment thesis for the program
- Responsible for making initial investment decisions, able to identify and choose competent and motivated founders and winning teams.
- Support founders by deeply understanding their business and advise on the same. Identify, analyze, and problem solve issues or barriers. Help close gaps by connecting founders with relevant mentors and partners and providing coaching and advice.
- Serve as a thought leader and Techstars brand ambassador in the external community. Bring / translate external knowledge of market insights and future trends to benefit the enterprise.
- Lead and manage the program team and corporate partners, when applicable, to create a holistic strategy and delivery plan, and own overall responsibility for the successful execution and outcomes of the program.
- Partner with internal Techstars’ teams to create and drive the pipeline and recruitment of new companies across the entire Techstars network.
- Curate a strong network of mentors, corporate partners, sponsors, and investors to connect founders to.
- Lead across the broader techstars ecosystem to enable others and drive growth. Mentor & coach new MDs, assist other programs, work on strategic initiatives / projects, and develop meaningful and beneficial relationships across the Techstars organization.
Qualifications and Skills
Required Experience / Knowledge + Skills
- Experience leading or operating in product/product development, revenue or growth functions.
- Lives in LA or within an hour's drive
- Has connections with or passion for USC - We are keen to talk with candidates who have a founder, employee, family member or investor connection with USC.
- Demonstrated experience building a business and/or function within an existing business.
- Threshold level knowledge/understanding of venture capital/investing. Fundraising or investor experience is important.
- Scaled organizations from 0-1 and 1-10.
- Relevant subject matter expertise for specific practice areas e.g. sustainability, web3 etc.
- Extensive experience in fast-paced environments within technology, startups, entrepreneurship, and venture capital.
- Robust personal network and ability to represent Techstars publicly through speaking engagements and professional events.
- Analytical mindset and financial acumen.
Core Required Attributes (Abilities, Values, Leadership Qualities)
- Empathy and EQ. Able to put themselves in others’/founders’ shoes to understand their perspective, listens well.
- Strong bias for action, has hustle,drive with strong execution.
- Thinks and acts like an owner.
- Growth/learner mindset. Self-reflective, self-aware, open-minded to alternate ideas and perspectives, seeks to improve.
- Can influence effectively in all directions and collaborate well with others.
- Able to inspire, develop, and engage people and teams. Developer of leaders, can attract high quality talent, talent multiplier, builds high performing teams and organizations.
- Shaper of change to positively impact enterprise outcomes.
- Founder experience, preferably been through failure and successful startups.
- Fundraising experience.
- Strong investor mental model and demonstrative results of your investment decisions, good and bad.
- Expertise in term sheets, negotiations and fundraising.
Techstars is the most active pre-seed investor in the world having invested through its accelerators in more than 3,700 companies. Founded in 2006, Techstars believes that entrepreneurs create a better future for everyone and great ideas can come from anywhere. Now we are on a mission to invest in an unprecedented number of startups per year enabling more capital to flow to more entrepreneurs around the world. We do this by operating accelerator programs and venture capital funds, as well as by connecting startups, investors, corporations, and cities to help build thriving startup communities. www.techstars.com
Techstars is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental handicaps or disabilities, marital status, Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity nor any other basis prohibited by law.
Techstars uses E-Verify to check the work authorization of all new hires. For more information about E-Verify, please see the following: