Privacy Ops Engineer
About the Team
The Legal & Trust team supports Sovrn growth by providing oversight and guidance for operating in compliance with our contractual and regulatory obligations. We help Sovrn teams understand the playing field, and participate in relationship building with our customers and partners. Our goal is to assess and address legal and regulatory risk, working cross-functionally across teams while subscribing to Sovrn mission and values.
About the Job
The Privacy Technical AnalystSystem Engineer will report to the VP, Privacy and Compliance, and assist in complying with appropriate regulatory and framework requirements. You will be the technical advocate for privacy decisions, designs, and discussions, working with engineering and product teams. As a result, you must be comfortable working in a fast-paced, cross-functional environment with a superpower for building relationships and demonstrating empathy for the challenges facing Sovrn’s internal business teams.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Ensure privacy requirements are correctly defined and implemented for (i) new and existing products; (ii) business process development; and (iii) corporate business systems.
- Maintain a general understanding of the changing privacy regulations that impact technical privacy requirements related to Sovrn’s business (such as GDPR, CCPA/CPRA and CPA).
- Oversee Sovrn web properties for compliance (e.g., maintain Sovrn's consent management platform (CMP); oversee use of trackers and inform Cookie Notice), as well as maintain digital content in Sovrn’s Trust Center.
- Maintain Privacy and Compliance technical documentation (e.g., data inventory and flow diagrams; TAG Control Framework).
- Evaluate industry and privacy technology trends through self-directed learning and participation in technical working groups, research privacy-enhancing technologies, and assist with validating of privacy controls.
- Provide technical guidance for Legal & Trust department projects, including those that implement automation for privacy operations. Serve as technical SME and system owner for Legal & Trust systems and tools.
- Assist in delivering role-based technical training to Product and Engineering teams on data privacy requirements.
- Manage third party risk by conducting risk assessments of Sovrn third parties; translate risk into recommendations for contractual requirements and new operational controls.
You are dangerously curious, not afraid to ask questions, and eager to learn about our business. You understand how technology can create privacy and data security challenges, and are able to articulate requirements to technical (and non-technical) teams that allow Sovrn to maintain its compliance posture. You are comfortable leading your own initiatives and have proven ability to efficiently manage a variety of projects in a timely manner with strong follow through skills. You’re comfortable working with a wide variety of people, and respect the perspectives of those that disagree with you. Above all, you love learning, and sharing what you know.
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, information systems, privacy engineering or related field of study + minimum three years’ experience OR 7+ years' experience in a technical role.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and the ability to effectively communicate requirements.
- Experience working with and querying large data sets in a language such as SQL.
- Familiarity with Atlassian suite of products and Agile methodology
- Demonstrated teamwork and collaboration skills, in particular in leading or contributing to global and multi-functional technical teams.
- Ability to learn and research new technologies rapidly, assess privacy exposures, and suggest mitigations.
- Demonstrated interest in privacy and/or corporate security (completion of IAPP courses, CIPM/CIPT/CISSP/CDPSE certifications preferred, or familiarity with privacy principles that are common across global laws and regulations).
- Familiarity with security and privacy standards such as SOC, ISO 27001, NIST, etc.
- Experience maintaining websites with any templating language (PHP preferred)
- Experience with concepts and practices such as threat modeling, data anonymization and classification, auditing access to data, and review of requests for data access, with the objective of recommending controls to mitigate privacy risks.
- Specific knowledge/experience in ad serving and/or other advertising technology systems.
Position Reports to: Vice President, Privacy and Compliance
Location: Boulder, CO
Publishers create the content the world depends on for education, entertainment, and commerce. Sovrn provides products and services to tens of thousands of online publishers to help them grow, operate their business, understand their readership, and manage consumer data. Sovrn is headquartered in Boulder, Colorado with offices in San Diego, San Francisco, New York, and London.
With thousands of customers deploying advertising, affiliate marketing, and data products across 40,000 websites, Sovrn reaches over 300 million active consumers across more than 11 billion pageviews every day. Sovrn has been a leader in online publisher technology since its founding and has been recognized by IAB, JICWEBS, and TAG for its role in combating fraud and promoting pro-transparency initiatives. Sovrn is dedicated to helping content creators do more of what they love, and less of what they don't.
Sovrn Core Values: Candid, Customer Empathy, Learning, Scrappy, Second Order Thinking
Compensation and Benefits
In accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the approximate compensation range for this role in Boulder, Colorado is $80,000-$110,000, including base salary and any related bonuses or commissions. Final compensation for this role will be determined by various factors such as a candidate's relevant work experience, skills, certifications and geographic location. Sovrn offers a full slate of benefits from competitive salaries, stock options, medical, dental and vision coverage, short and long term disability, life insurance, 11 paid holidays, flexible vacation, commuter benefits, a 401(k) plan and match, and a paid parental leave program.
We understand that no candidate is perfectly qualified for any job. Experience comes in different forms; many skills are transferable; and passion goes a long way. Even more important than your resume is a clear demonstration of accountability impact, and the ability to thrive in a fluid and collaborative environment. We expect you to learn new things in this role, and we encourage you to apply if your experience is close to what we're looking for.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Sovrn is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, parental or pregnancy status, marriage and civil partnership, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodations will be made to meet the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act and will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Sovrn does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Sovrn employees. Sovrn is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.