Sr Cloud Engineer
About the Team
Sovrn, Inc offers a suite of products to allow independent creators to stay independent (i.e., “sovereign”) by making an income while serving their audience. Of these products, the Advertising Exchange is the oldest and largest. It’s also probably the most complex. It operates at massive scale, in open market conditions, with sophisticated counterparties.
The Exchange team is currently undertaking to move its entire architecture from hybrid cloud/bare metal to an entirely cloud-native environment. We’ve made substantial progress, with all major infrastructure replicated in our cloud environment. Our next challenges are to scale, test, and harden, but also to adapt and evolve our systems to their new home.
The team is seeking an experienced cloud engineer to help us with this next phase of an exciting project.
About the Job
As a Sr. Cloud Engineer you will have a pivotal role in building and maintaining our cloud systems, porting our operations from bare metal to the cloud, and, after the move is complete, continually optimizing the operations of the systems.
Some of our key tenets are low latency, high performance, sane architecture, observable systems, operational maturity, and a blameless culture of learning and improvement.
Cloud engineering includes deployment pipelines, software configuration management, infrastructure configuration management, containerization frameworks, monitoring, and performance engineering. You will bring experience with SRE and DevOps transformation, implementation, and sustaining activities.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Helping move a large (100B+ requests daily, petabyte-scale) application from bare metal to the cloud
- Preserving and improving our low-latency, cost-efficient performance across the move
- After the move is complete, optimizing for observability and efficiency
- Driving the maturity of our load balancing strategy via a design/test/measure/iterate workflow
- Advocating for best practices for container management and tools
- Contributing to the evolution of cloud native practices, guidelines, patterns, and standards
- Providing technical and architectural/vision alignment guidance and mentorship to other team members
You are a self-starter and desire to work without micromanagement. You enjoy being part of a collaborative team but are also independently responsible. You are energized by technical challenges and solving problems with your team to make better software. You are security-minded and above all are excited about technology with an endless curiosity to learn.
The successful candidate will have experience with:
- Containers and orchestration (Kubernetes, EKS, Docker)
- Automation tools (Jenkins, Github Actions, Terraform, Vault, etc.)
- Networking (particularly in AWS), DNS, and load balancing
- Any scripting language (shell, Python, etc)
- Deploying and operating cloud services (observability, monitoring, alerting, and handling critical issues)
- Certified Kubernetes Administrator or Application Developer (CKA, CKAD)
- Cloud Certifications (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Java experience
- Experience with large scale, latency-sensitive systems
- Full software development lifecycle experience
- Experience with Cloud-based security protocols
This position reports to: Director, Advertising Exchange Engineering
Location: Boulder or Denver, CO
We understand that no candidate is perfectly qualified for any job. Experience comes in different forms; many skills are transferable; and passion goes a long way. Even more important than your resume is a clear demonstration of accountability impact, and the ability to thrive in a fluid and collaborative environment. We expect you to learn new things in this role, and we encourage you to apply if your experience is close to what we're looking for.
Publishers create the content the world depends on for education, entertainment, and commerce. Sovrn provides products and services to tens of thousands of online publishers to help them grow, operate their business, understand their readership, and manage consumer data. Sovrn is headquartered in Boulder, Colorado with offices in San Diego, New York, and London.
Sovrn Core Values: Candid, Customer Empathy, Learning, Scrappy, Second Order Thinking
Compensation and Benefits
In accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the approximate compensation range for this role in Boulder, Colorado is $140,000 to $150,000, including base salary and any related bonuses or commissions. Final compensation for this role will be determined by various factors such as a candidate's relevant work experience, skills and certifications.
Sovrn offers a full slate of benefits from competitive salaries, stock options, medical, dental and vision coverage, short and long term disability, life insurance,11 paid holidays, flexible vacation, commuter benefits, a 401(k) plan and match, and a paid parental leave program.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Sovrn is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, parental or pregnancy status, marriage and civil partnership, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodations will be made to meet the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act and will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Sovrn does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Sovrn employees. Sovrn is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.