Group Lead Sr. Scientist (Cathode)
Broomfield, CO, USA
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2023
Position Overview:Solid Power is seeking a Group Lead Sr. Scientist to join our talented team working to revolutionize the battery industry through the development of next generation, all solid-state rechargeable batteries. This position will be responsible for leading the group with the conversion cathode development (such as iron pyrite and sulfur) in R&D. The group leader will work closely with the R&D anode group, the cell engineering team, the cell development team, and the program management team to commercialize a high-energy solid-state battery. Job Duties:
- Lead the conversion cathode group in discovery, maturation, and future development of solid-state cathode materials and processing.
- Lead the governmental project to develop a high energy and long calendar life battery.
- Responsible for managing the group and supporting the VP of R&D to set up group plan and execute business objectives.
- Write reports and present the project progress internally and externally.
- Work with cathode vendors, partners, and academic collaborators to develop and validate new cathode materials and compositions.
- Work closely with the electrolyte, anode, and cell groups to integrate the cathode technology into a full cell demonstration.
- Work closely with Engineering and Cell Development teams to understand operational needs and transfer the cathode technology to production.
- Mentor and contribute to the professional development of junior staff.
- Ph.D. in chemistry, material science, electrochemistry, or a related discipline. 6+ years of industrial experience and 2+ years of leadership experience in conversion cathode and Li-ion battery development. Experience of managing a governmental project is a plus.
- Extensive experience of conversion cathode material synthesis and failure mechanism analysis.
- Proven ability to lead data driven decision making.
- Strong communication skills, analytical skills, and team building skills.
- Positive attitude, flexibility, and the ability to balance multiple projects in a fast-paced start-up environment.