Director of Cathode Development
Broomfield, CO, USA
Posted on Saturday, July 29, 2023
Position Overview:Solid Power is seeking a Director of Cathode Development to join our talented team of engineers and scientists working to revolutionize the battery industry through the development of next‐generation, all solid‐state rechargeable batteries. Solid Power is a dynamic, fast‐paced, collaborative and innovative team environment. This position will be responsible for leading the cathode development in the R&D department and report to the VP of R&D. It is a key role in the R&D group, and critical in helping transition the cathode technology to the customers. The main responsibilities include leading a team to develop and mature the cathode materials, cathode formulations, and cathode processing techniques. The preferred candidate will be strong in the fundamentals, and have experience in synthesis, of cathode materials for lithium‐ion batteries, and an in-depth knowledge of cathode material processing, chemistry challenges, and failure mechanisms. A strong leadership background is a must. Job Duties
- Lead a team in discovery, maturation and future development of solid-state cathode materials and surface treatment processing.
- Responsible for managing the group, setting up group plan, planning operation budget, and executing business objectives.
- Work with cathode vendors, partners, and academic collaborators to develop and validate new cathode materials and surface treatment compositions.
- Work closely with the electrolyte, anode, and cell groups to integrate the cathode technology into a full cell demonstration.
- Work closely with Engineering and Cell Development teams to understand operational needs and transfer the cathode technology to production.
- PhD degree in chemistry, material science, electrochemistry or a related field. Minimum 10 years of industry experience and 5 years of leadership experience in Li ion cathode synthesis and development. Solid-state battery experience is a plus.
- Extensive experience of cathode material synthesis and failure mechanism analysis. Lithium metal oxide and sulfur-based cathode experience is preferred.
- Proven track record of working with original cathode vendors.
- Proven ability to lead data driven decision making and establishing credibility with others at all levels of an organization.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills.
- Strong communication skills, analytical skills, experience with Design of Experiments or other systematic research tools.
- Team builder that thrives in a fast‐paced start‐up environment.