Staff Software Engineer - Web Infrastructure
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as Twilio’s next Staff Software Engineer for the Web Infrastructure team
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a global company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business.
About the job
This position is needed to build and enhance the foundations of Twilio Web Platform to enable developers Twilio-wide to build and release their web properties easily, securely, and at scale.
The Web Infrastructure team is responsible for the tooling and services that make the foundations of all Twilio web-based products solid and usable by all Twilio Engineers. We focus on providing foundational elements for multiple web properties and tooling to enable content providers to more effectively deliver their message. These foundations and tooling help hundreds of Twilio teams develop faster and easier, more securely and with high quality. Experience with both front-end and back-end development and leadership of teams that operate across the spectrum will be important to your success in the role.
In this role, you’ll:
- Build tools used internally by fellow Twilio developers
- Deliver new products and services to increase the safety and reliability of the Twilio Web platforms
- Participate in the refinement of the team’s Product Backlog, estimating work and other Agile ceremonies
- Contribute to the design and feature set of our product and tooling
- Automate and enhance our tools to improve their efficacy and the team’s efficiency
- Write top class code and cover it with unit, integration, and cluster tests to achieve high levels of code coverage and detect defects prior to release
- Plan and Lead team projects
- Work with teams beyond Web Platform to understand their needs and build our platform to solve for them
- Coach and mentor more junior engineers on the team
- Deploy code to the cloud; learn and use AWS, K8s, CI/CD, Front-end frameworks, and Back-end service building techniques
- Learn Twilio’s distributed system and microservices architecture through interactions with Senior Engineers, Principals, and Architects.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- Expert knowledge of REACT and/or other front-end technologies
- Deep experience with implementation and maintenance of CI/CD pipelines and use of infrastructure-as-code tools (e.g. Terraform)
- 4+ years of experience with building, maintaining, and scaling Java services
- Strong understanding of data structures and algorithms and Java fundamentals
- Strong fundamental knowledge of software development best practices for RESTful service implementation.
- Oral and written communication skills: be prepared to frequently propose and discuss ideas and implementation with your teammates, as well as involving other stakeholders in Twilio - we’re one single team, no one flies solo!
- Curious mindset - we’re not looking for someone with all the answers, but rather someone who is prepared to grow with us
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
- Experience with package managers - PNPM would be a plus
- CI/CD pipeline implementation experience - Buildkite would be a plus
- Docker and containerisation in general - K8 would be a plus
- Experience developing for AWS services
- Experience participating in development for large scale services
This role will be remote in the United States but is not eligible to be hired in San Francisco, CA, Oakland, CA, San Jose, CA, or the surrounding areas.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado, California, New York, and Washington. The information below is provided for candidates hired in those locations only.
The estimated pay ranges for this role are as follows:
- Based in Colorado: $164,480 - $205,600.
- Based in New York, Washington State or California (outside the San Francisco Bay Area): $174,160 - $217,700.
- This role may be eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan. All roles are eligible for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.