Engineering Manager (M3)
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as Twilio’s next Engineering Manager.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a global company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business.
About the job
Twilio's Phone Numbers team underpins the Programmable Communications Products. For many of our customers, their first interaction with Twilio is through acquiring and using a phone number. This team is responsible for the systems that power Twilio’s Global Inventory.
As an Engineering Manager in the Phone Numbers team, you will be responsible for hiring and onboarding the first Phone Numbers Engineering team in India and building a high performing team. You’ll play a pivotal role in leading and empowering the team of talented engineers to build loveable experiences for Twilio’s customers while modernizing technology stack.
You'll be a strategic partner, technical mentor, and inspiring leader, guiding your team to achieve ambitious goals and push the boundaries of what's possible. Join us as we build the next generation of our products.
In this role, you’ll:
- Team Leadership: Attract, recruit, and onboard top engineering talent. Foster a culture of learning and development, providing opportunities for professional growth within your team. Build and lead a high-performing team of software engineers, fostering a culture of collaboration, innovation, and ownership.
- Strategic Vision & Execution: Partner with stakeholders to define the technical roadmap, align engineering efforts with business goals, and make informed technology decisions. Plan, execute, and deliver projects on time, within budget, and to high quality standards. Manage dependencies, resources, and risks effectively.
- Technical Mentorship: Guide your team in designing, building, and deploying robust and scalable distributed systems and microservices architectures..
- Communication and Collaboration: Communicate effectively across all levels, both technical and non-technical, ensuring clear understanding and alignment. Build strong relationships with stakeholders and partners.
- Process Improvement & Oncall: Continuously evaluate and improve engineering processes, tools, and workflows to optimize efficiency and team performance.
- Oncall: Lead the team in establishing and participating in an on-call rotation to ensure timely response to production incidents and system outages. Facilitate collaborative and blameless postmortems for production incidents, focusing on root cause analysis, learning opportunities, and actionable improvement plans.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- Minimum 2 years of experience in building and managing high-performing teams in remote setup. Ability to mentor and coach team members across all levels
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills. Strong organizational and project management skills. Experience working with Agile methodologies.
- Passion for building innovative and user-centric software solutions. Ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines effectively.
- Deep technical knowledge and extensive experience working with highly scalable, fault tolerant, large distributed systems and microservices architecture. Expertise in asynchronous communication patterns.
- Proficiency in programming languages like Java, strong understanding of relational databases like MySQL and a practical experience with cloud platforms like AWS.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Prior experience working with PHP and Knowledge of modern front-end technologies such as React, Typescript, Node.js, or equivalent frameworks is a plus
- Experience with containerisation technologies like Docker and Kubernetes for micro services deployment and management.
This role will be based remotely in India region.
Approximately 5% travel is anticipated.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.