Manager, Software Engineering
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Manager, Software Engineering.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a global company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business.
About the job
This position is needed to oversee the growth and development of a team dedicated to creating advanced products for developers, builders, and operators. You will lead collaboration with the Product and Design teams while expanding your team's capabilities by attracting, mentoring, and retaining top engineering talent. You will be responsible for guiding the development of low-latency, highly scalable distributed systems, and APIs. Your leadership will ensure that the engineering systems are robust and efficient, aligning with Twilio’s commitment to excellence and innovation.
Twilio is growing rapidly and we're proud to have our Phone Numbers Product drive industry direction through breadth, depth, and innovation. We're looking for an accomplished engineering manager to join us as we begin the next stage of Phone Numbers at Twilio, pushing forward the entire industry in the process.
In this role, you’ll:
- Manage the team responsible for building and maintaining RESTful APIs and event-driven architectures.
- Lead collaboration efforts with product managers, designers, and engineers to conceptualize and bring ideas to reality.
- Oversee the design and development of highly scalable and available services, ensuring technical robustness and optimal performance.
- Drive continuous enhancement of services underpinning Twilio’s leading products, thereby bolstering revenue and customer satisfaction.
- Take full ownership of product success, accountable for maintaining service level agreements (SLAs), orchestrating on-call rotations, steering incident resolutions, and assimilating customer feedback.
- Conduct and advocate for blameless post-mortems to cultivate learning and improvement.
- Exhibit and foster strong technical leadership and engagement within the team, promoting a culture of excellence, innovation, and engagement.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 2+ years experience in engineering management, including fostering team well-being and professional growth.
- Demonstrated leadership in managing technical teams
- Full proficiency in Java, C#, or a comparable programming language.
- Experience in leading the development and operational maintenance of highly scalable, distributed systems, microservices, relational databases like MySQL, as well as in building sophisticated RESTful web services.
- Proven track record in the design, development, and support of enterprise-level, mission-critical systems that directly affect users.
- Exceptional cross-functional collaborative skills, with experience in aligning team efforts towards common goals and ensuring team cohesion.
- Effective conflict management skills, with the capacity to navigate and resolve disputes thoughtfully and constructively.
- In-depth familiarity with engineering procedures and best practices across all stages of the software development lifecycle.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication abilities, with confidence in documenting and presenting design processes and decisions, as well as participating in design reviews.
- A history of mentoring and growing engineers to success.
- Practical experience with cloud platforms like AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Exposure to PHP and/or Python programming.
- Knowledge of modern front-end technologies such as React, Typescript, Node.js, or equivalent frameworks.
This role will be remote and based in Colombia.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role may be eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan. All roles are eligible for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.