Software Engineer, Messaging
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Software Engineer (L2).
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to build and maintain a suite of mission critical services in our core messaging flow.
As a Software Engineer in the Message Flow team, you will be partnering with product managers, architects and other engineers to deliver Messaging product features. Being on the critical path, the team's primary focus is around building scalable, reliable and low latency services.
In this role, you’ll:
- Design and develop scalable systems to support continuing increases in message volume and business complexity.
- Keep our stack up and running while following a quality-first mindset. Support production operations, building, releasing and assisting with team on-call.
- Review code and offer improvements to practices and processes to elevate the team and broader organization.
- Contribute to feature ideas and betterments through tight cooperation inside and outside of your immediate team.
- Build trust and reliability in your products, review performance against service level objectives, address incidents and prioritize improvements.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 2-4 years of experience in designing, building, maintaining and scaling backend services
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- Knowledge of REST API design and implementation.
- Experience with asynchronous programming.
- Knowledge of technologies like Kafka, Terraform and NoSQL databases.
- Strong oral and written communication skills: be prepared to frequently propose and discuss ideas and implementation details with your teammates, as well as involving other stakeholders in Twilio - we’re one single team, no one flies solo!
- Curious mindset - we’re not looking for someone with all the answers, but rather someone who is prepared to grow with us.
- Experience with programming in Java
- Experience developing with AWS offerings - DynamoDB, SQS, EKS, EC2 and more.
- Experience with REST API design and implementation
- Experience with Kafka, Terraform and NoSQL databases
- Docker and containerisation in general. K8s experience would be ideal.
- Experience in building and operating distributed, event driven systems.
This role will be based in our Tallinn, Estonia office OR remotely from Estonia.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.