Chief Information Security Officer
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Chief Information Security Officer.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
Twilio is seeking a Chief Information Security Officer to drive the company’s overall security strategy, and regularly communicate progress to Twilio executives, the Board of Directors, customers and the information security community. The CISO will be responsible for protecting Twilio’s corporate, employee and customer data from compromise by continuing to mature the security program and the company’s digital resiliency.
To be successful, the selected candidate will lead and empower a growing team of information security professionals and implement the programs, processes and technologies required to succeed. You will partner with other business and product groups within Twilio to ensure compliance with company policies, in-flight security programs and regulatory requirements.
The candidate must be results-driven and able to articulate complex concepts to all audiences, ranging from technical contributors inside and outside the company, to executive leadership, Board members, customer and US policymakers on Capitol Hill.
The ideal candidate is a security thought leader, consensus builder and a strong leader and builder of teams.
In addition, strong candidates will demonstrate that they are:
- A modern technologist and thinker. Viewing security as an enabler, not an inhibitor to innovation
- A decisive leader who instills leadership into reports
- Focused on team building; mentoring and training a team
- Humble, hardworking, forward-thinking
- A clear and concise communicator
- Executive Leadership & Team Building – Serve as the lead for information security for Twilio, which includes the technical integration aspects of security technologies and processes, but also with responsibilities related to leading an effective corporate-wide initiative.
- Strategic Security Program – Upon assumption of this role, this executive should review and assess the maturity of current security programs and capabilities, with the goal to create a multi year strategic security roadmap outlining necessary resources and requirements, with leadership agreement, for a world-class public company security program.
- Engineering Integration – This hire will be expected to advise and implement security technologies into a modern DevOps organization – as well as with DevOps customers – and instill a culture of security in the development of enterprise software.
- Communication & Coordination – This executive will need to translate technical risks into interpretable organizational risks for wide-ranging corporate audiences, including customers, the Board and senior leadership. This role will also be responsible for coordinating the security strategy among different company departments, to include the Audit Committee, business unit leaders, Engineering, Product, HR and Legal.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- Prior experience as a CISO, preferably of a public company
- Minimum 15 years of experience as an information security leader with a large security team, at a consumer-technology or enterprise software company
- 10-12+ years of relevant work experience across modern engineering/product teams or within the technology organization. Proven track record implementing the following programs: product security, Cloud security, incident response, threat intelligence, DLP/DR/BCP, IAM, information privacy, SOC management, security architecture, security policy/advocacy and risk assessments
- Relevant compliance expertise for the industry, and familiarity with/ certifications for frameworks including ISO, SOX, SOC2, NIST, SSAE, PCI, FedRAMP
- Technical foundation (EE/CS degree), but also a business mentality and a dedication to translating technical vulnerabilities into broader organizational risks for senior leadership
- Superior written and verbal communication skills. Ability to serve broadly as a security advocate and authority
- Demonstrated experience in setting up security focused metrics and accountability measures across an enterprise
- Security industry connectivity to hire great talent and build a world-class team. Serve as an external security evangelist for the company
- Prior experience as a CISO for a publicly traded technology company
- Cloud security and Dev Ops expertise is highly relevant
This role will be remote, and based in the USA. Approximately 25% travel is anticipated.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado, California, New York, and Washington. The information below is provided for candidates hired in those locations only.
The estimated pay ranges for this role are as follows:
- Based in Colorado, New York, Washington State, or the San Francisco Bay area, California: $285,000 - $350,000.
- This role may be eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan. All roles are eligible for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.