Staff Software Engineer, Edge Proxy
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Staff Software Engineer - Edge Proxy
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to help us build the next generation of Edge Proxy at Twilio.
At Twilio’s Edge Proxy team, we manage a high-availability, low-latency proxy that processes Twilio’s inbound REST API traffic – over 10 billion API requests a week – with exceptionally high uptime, availability, and success rates. We are looking for a Staff Software Engineer to help create a system that will enable teams to build developer friendly, scalable, and resilient APIs without friction.
In this role, you’ll:
- Design, build, and maintain massively scalable, highly reliable and resilient Java services in a fast growing and engineering focused company
- Design and build scalable and segregated infrastructure deployment systems using Terraform, AWS, and Docker
- Lead incident troubleshooting, remediation, and prevention efforts
- Provide technical leadership by promoting best practices, driving innovation, and designing multi-organizational processes and systems
- Collaborate with teams, leaders, and stakeholders across organizations to architect systems and achieve business goals
- Cultivate a culture of ownership and growth by mentoring engineers and sharing technical expertise
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 8+ years experience in software engineering, working on distributed systems at scale
- Prior experience with RESTful API design and development
- Prior experience supporting mission critical production applications using observability metrics and tools (such as DataDog)
- Prior experience leading the technical decision making process including an ability to prioritize effectively and bring stakeholders together
- Prior experience developing in a CI/CD environment using tools such as Build Kite, Jenkins, Travis CI, or others
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with Cloud Technologies, especially AWS
- Knowledge of Terraform, or other infrastructure as code framework
- Experience using Docker containers in production environments
- Experience mentoring other engineers through increased responsibility and scope
This role is remote and is not eligible for hire in San Francisco, Oakland or San Jose, CA, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Washington, Pennsylvania or the surrounding areas.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado, California, New York, and Washington. The information below is provided for candidates hired in those locations only.
The estimated pay ranges for this role are as follows:
- Based in Colorado: $160,080.00- $200,100.00.
- Based in New York, Washington State or California (outside the San Francisco Bay Area): $169,520.00 - $211,900.00.
- This role may be eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan. All roles are eligible for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.