Associate Director, Payroll Services
The Assoc Director, Payroll Services is a key member of the HR and Total Rewards function and is responsible for all aspects of payroll processing and reconciliation for approximately 9,000+ team members in addition to a sizable contingent workforce. They will report to the VP of Total Rewards, and work closely with the Human Resources and Finance Departments, as well as third-party vendors. This position requires an extremely detail orientated person with significant knowledge of payroll administration, including state and federal regulations.
The role will be responsible for managing the payroll team to effectively provide a localized payroll service. This leader will monitor, train/educate, undertake payroll transformation projects, provide insights, manage payroll risks, and adhere to local statutory requirements. They will build and maintain productive relationships with all stakeholders, including payroll staff, payroll providers, HR, and other internal and external customers.
- Responsible for payroll operations and governance for multiple entities, ensuring timely and accurate processing of payroll in compliance with federal, state, and local wage and hour laws
- Responsible for multi-state tax reporting, compliance, and remittance
- Ensure that HelloFresh complies with the wage & hour laws, federal and state regulations and company’s policies and procedures
- Provide strategic direction and expertise to the payroll function along with creating short-term and long-term strategies for continuous improvement in payroll operations.
- Drive the transformation and modernization of the payroll function by leveraging technology to automate processes and reporting
- Responsible for the year-end internal/external audit of the payroll function
- Establish best practices and develop workflows to improve customer services, and business process
- Acts as a resource to management for questions related to payroll and payroll taxes
- Expert knowledge of payroll processes from time and effort, calculation, disbursement, garnishment, and overpayment
- Provides guidance on payroll tax laws to staff; monitors and manages payroll tax policies, procedures and internal controls
- Ensures the development and training of all payroll team members
- Ensure robust controls are regularly reviewed across the payroll group to refine, so to mitigate risk
- Review, design, develop, and implement updated payroll-related policies and procedures as needed
- Perform other duties and special projects and other duties as assigned
- A minimum of 7-10 years of progressive payroll experience, with a minimum of 4 years successfully leading a team of payroll professionals for a multi-state company;
- 5+ years of experience with Workday or ADP preferred
- Bachelor's degree with emphasis on accounting, business, finance, or a related field; or a combination of post high school and equal experience may be substituted for education. Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of applicable US federal, state, and local rules and laws.
- Extensive experience working in a complex multi hourly distribution center/facility preferred
- Expert knowledge of multi-state payroll, payroll tax rules, and regulations/compliance in the U.S.
- Proficient use of Google Sheets, or MS Excel required
- Must be detailed orientated and maintain confidentiality in a professional manner
- Work on multiple tasks simultaneously, while ensuring tasks are completed on time in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage simultaneous priorities and deadlines
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities, meet deadlines and be a change agent
- A self-starter/high initiative to proactively identify opportunities to improve and find solutions
- Ability to work on-site, in-office, 2 days of the week
You’ll get… (do not edit this list)
- Competitive salary, 401k with company match that vests immediately upon participation, and company equity plan based on role
- Generous PTO and parental leave of up to 16 weeks
- Comprehensive health and wellness benefits with options at $0 monthly, effective first day of employment
- Tuition reimbursement for continuing education
- Up to 75% discount on subscriptions to HelloFresh meal plans (HelloFresh, Green Chef, Everyplate, and Factor_)
- Access to 6 different Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) including those for minorities, women, veterans, parents, and LGBTQ+
- Inclusive, collaborative, and dynamic work environment within a fast-paced, mission-driven company that is growing exponentially year over year