Health & Safety Specialist
About the Role
Location: (Timberlea) Tomken Rd & Matheson Blvd East, Mississauga
HelloFresh Canada is looking for an experienced Health and Safety Specialist to develop, lead, and manage workplace safety initiatives in our Abbotsford Distribution Centre. You will be on the front lines with the Production Team and collaborate with the Joint Health & Safety Committee & Site Leadership to promote HelloFresh’s DNA, inspire change, raise the bar on workplace safety, and champion a safety-first culture!
Reporting to the Site Manager, the Health and Safety Specialist will foster a positive safety culture by developing, implementing and driving compliance to safety standards and maintaining a safe work environment. Ability to work flexible shifts including days, nights, and or weekends.
What you will be doing:
- Take the lead on building a safety culture by training, coaching, and holding team members accountable on workplace safety and food safety topics
- Develop and implement safety initiatives, controls, and procedures to address safety risks in the workplace. This can include developing/delivering training, implementation of PPE/engineered controls, and also being a consistent voice on all matters safety.
- Collaborate with external (Regional OHS & Health Services) and internal stakeholders (JHSC, Site Leadership) to develop, audit, and achieve the highest level of safety standards
- Facilitate and conduct workplace risk assessments in partnership with with the Joint Health and Safety Committee
- Train employees, monitor and correct use of PPE, engineering and administrative safety controls in both production and non-production areas
- Conduct daily safety walks and huddles to ensure high compliance in safety measures
- Manage and document employee GMP and Safety trainings
- Track and oversee Health and Safety performance metrics - Near Misses, Injuries, Missed Work Days
- Manage employee health screening process (e.g. check in, temperature testing, online questionnaires) - promptly escalate safety issues and risks to Site Leadership and JHSC
- Ensure employees maintain social distance measures (e.g. social distance policy)
- Review and collaborate with Facilities Manager to adjust sanitation practices
- Ensure and track health and safety compliance and take part in the Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC), including conduct spot checks and participate in incident investigations
- Manage inventory of safety supplies, ordering as needed and ensuring that costs are appropriately managed (e.g. masks, plastic bags, face shields, gloves)
- Maintain office, lunchroom area, and outdoor facilities by collaborating with the Facilities Manager and Sanitation Teams on defining standards for routine maintenance and cleaning. (e.g. ensure areas are being cleaned, regular sanitization schedules are being followed, etc.)
- Work in compliance with OH&S acts and regulations.
- Use personal protective and safety equipment and clothing as directed by the employer and report workplace hazards and dangers to the supervisor or employer.
- Other duties as assigned
At a minimum, you have:
- Completed post-secondary in (EHS) Environmental Health and Safety, or related field or equivalent work experience in an OSHA background.
- 3+ years of work experience required in Health and Safety Environment
- 1 year of Health & Safety management and/or executive level support experience (preferred but not required)
- Demonstrated experience in providing high quality customer experience, building a safety culture, communicating to get team member buy-in
- Detail oriented with proven ability to prioritize and work efficiently with minimum direction or supervision
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to perform administrative tasks with high degree of accuracy
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal), including active listening and proofreading
- Ability to perform at a high level in a fast paced and dynamic work environment
- Ability to demonstrate good, sound judgment
- Availability to work weekend schedules and in temperature controlled (it’s food, so it’s cold!) facilities
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Google Suite (Calendar, Gmail, Docs, Sheets), and video conferencing (Hangouts Meet)
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive salary and health benefits
- 75% discount on HelloFresh or Chefs Plate weekly box subscription
- High impact work to help feed thousands of families in Canada
- Opportunity to learn and grow
- Work with a hard-working and supportive team
It’s no surprise that as a food company, we use many ingredients that may be considered common allergens (i.e. peanuts, tree nuts, milk, etc.). Whether this role is based out of our headquarters or one of our distribution centers, it is possible that you may be exposed to such allergens in this role. If you have any concerns with being exposed to any particular food ingredients, including meat, please disclose this during the hiring process.
If this sounds like you, please click the "Apply Now" button. If this role doesn't quite match what you're looking for, but you'd like to know more about joining the HelloFresh team, please visit our Jobs page to view our other vacancies. We'd love to hear from you!