Senior Food Technologist
The Senior Food Technologist reports to the SKU Validation Manager and is the expert for all Ingredients in the Hello Fresh portfolio, with a deep and profound knowledge of food technology and product development. This is a crucial role in implementing the product roadmap through the development of new ingredients, from initial scoping to collaborating with suppliers on testing and reformulation until post-launch performance analysis.
Focusing on continuously optimising the ingredient portfolio and quality based on customer insights, cost, nutritional values and operational complexity, ultimately contributing to an enhanced customer experience that results in a positively correlated AOV and AOR.
- Manage end-to-end sensory assessment process:
- Organise sampling sessions in liaison with procurement and suppliers to ensure a weekly sampling of SKUs
- Prepare samples according to sensory evaluation standards
- Provide scope and objective to tasting panel and steer conversations to derive qualitative feedback from all stakeholders
- Document and report findings, decisions and subsequent actions
- Give feedback to suppliers and foster collaboration on innovation and ingredient quality improvement initiatives
- Work collaboratively with our Culinary, Procurement, Projects and FSQA teams on ongoing new ingredient and existing ingredient development and ensure any potential issues are raised early in the development process
- Analyse and report on the performance of ingredients in menus and recipes by reviewing customer commentary and relevant metrics
- Identify improvement opportunities and liaise with procurement and suppliers to improve ingredient quality and consistency
- Drive process and tool improvements in collaboration with SKU Validation, FSQA and international stakeholders on the sensory assessment process and SKU Performance processes
- Contribute to overarching product development goals such as supporting strategic culinary decisions, co-creating the quarterly NID & EID roadmap and contributing to product improvement initiatives
- Manage workflow and performance of Food Technologist
- Drive wider team engagement by contributing to the monthly SKU Validation knowledge sharing, ensure adherence and efficiency across processes by creating and updating SOP documentation and fostering a collaborative and output-focused culture
- 2+ years experience in a sensory testing or product development role in an FMCG company
- A diploma or degree in a related field (e.g. Food Technology, Food Science, Dietetics, Product Development)
- Previous experience in management and understanding of numbers and analytics
- Vast knowledge and interest in food: strong understanding of local and broader New Zealand taste profiles, culinary trends, and preferences.
- Highly organised and detail-oriented: able to juggle multiple projects, prioritise tasks, adhere to deadlines and not overlook critical details.
- Entrepreneurial with an ownership mindset: enjoy working in small teams, taking ownership, and thinking beyond the scope of a given assignment.
- Naturally curious: innovative, creative, and constantly looking for ways to improve upon things.
What you will get in return...
- The chance to have a significant impact on one of the fastest-growing global technology companies in an exciting growth phase.
- Significant reduction on our meal kits, 70% off from your first day
- Flexible working arrangements.
- Flat hierarchies, constant learning and driving personal growth.
- Free access to Headspace.
- HelloFresh Academies - monthly internal learning & development
- A diverse and vibrant international environment.
Start Date: Immediately available – can wait a notice period.
Duration: Full-time role. You must have the right to work full-time in New Zealand.
Location: Auckland, New Zealand