About the Role
Location: HWY 403 & Dundas St W, Mississauga
We are looking for an experienced Sous Chef who will oversee daily kitchen operations of our newest brand: Factor (factormeals.ca), a healthy, ready-to-heat meal delivery service. Reporting to the Executive Chef, you will ensure that all food prepared meets the highest quality standards, the first batch is identical to the last, and our production stays on track. As a part of our Kitchen Operations team, you will play a key role in delivering a consistently outstanding product to our weekly customers while rapidly scaling this new business.
Shift: This role will offer a predictable and consistent 5-day schedule, with evening shifts.
What you will be doing:
Train, coach, and develop a team of hourly kitchen employees. Manage performance metrics on safety, quality, efficiency, cost, and morale, provide regular progress reports to the Executive Chef, conduct root cause analyses if off-target, and drive continuous improvement in all areas. Maintain upkeep of the kitchen, including equipment and inventory. Ensure the kitchen operates with the highest health and safety standards, and is in alignment with federal and provincial health and safety requirements. Track and manage food storage, rotation, and quality. Work closely with other departments to execute plant-wide process improvement initiatives. Make in-flight adjustments to ensure production stays on track and goal are met
- Work in all areas of the production facility, including refrigerated areas, and perform tasks ranging from receiving of ingredients and packaging, preparation of ingredients, cooking activities, plating, and order packing.
- Work in compliance with OH&S acts and regulations.
- Use personal protective and safety equipment and clothing as directed by the employer and report workplace hazards and dangers to the supervisor or employer.
- Other duties as assigned
At a minimum, you have:
- 2+ years’ experience in a commissary kitchen with high-volume food preparation
- Computer literate; you are comfortable with Microsoft Office / Google Suite applications (spreadsheets, slides, etc)
- Ability to lead, train and develop a large group of employees and manage an active kitchen
- A problem solver’s mentality; you see problems as opportunities and see the benefit of doing things differently
- Strong communication skills; you adjust your communication style to different audiences, relay information effectively, and speak to employees with tact and diplomacy
- Ability to multitask, tracking/monitoring recipe development, maintaining efficiency, and delivering on time
- No/low ego; you take direction/feedback well, and are focused on getting to the best possible outcome
- Comfortable with being exposed to hot, cool and/or cold environments (0-30ºC)
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive salary and health benefits
- 75% discount on HelloFresh or Chefs Plate weekly box subscription
- High impact work to help feed thousands of families in Canada
- Opportunity to learn and grow
- Work with a hard-working and supportive team
It’s no surprise that as a food company, we use many ingredients that may be considered common allergens (i.e. peanuts, tree nuts, milk, etc.). Whether this role is based out of our headquarters or one of our distribution centers, it is possible that you may be exposed to such allergens in this role. If you have any concerns with being exposed to any particular food ingredients, including meat, please disclose this during the hiring process.
If this sounds like you, please click the "Apply Now" button. If this role doesn't quite match what you're looking for, but you'd like to know more about joining the HelloFresh team, please visit our Jobs page to view our other vacancies. We'd love to hear from you!