Senior Backend Engineer, Consumer Core Alliance (f/m/x)
Customers, Subscriptions and Orders, these are the three core domains that power the HelloFresh business. In the Consumer Core Alliance, the team ensures that customers are able to register for a new account, login, purchase a plan and place an order.
On a high level, Consumer Core ensures that HelloFresh customers can perform these core actions in a reliable and scalable manner as our business continues to grow. The team focuses on building decoupled microservices to extract the core domains from the monolithic application and enable future business opportunities at scale. The team is able to do so while being agile without compromising on quality, delivering value to our customers in an iterative and sustainable way with a big emphasis on the team rather than the individuals.
Our Backend Engineers assume development and operational responsibility for the HelloFresh platform that serves millions globally to deliver the best experience for our customers and internal users.
Interacting with front-end developers, designers, product managers and our teams around the world is very much part of our day-to-day, so communication skills are vital. We are looking for strong problem-solvers who can apply their engineering skills to a wide range of platforms and environments while also acting as an ambassador to coach team members and stakeholders.
Above all, we are looking for people who will make HelloFresh better. We believe there are many different ways of developing skills and we love diverse experiences! So even if you don’t “tick all the boxes” but think you’d thrive in this role, we would really like to learn more about you.
What you’ll do
- Take ownership of the architecture, design, development, deployment and operations of the microservices you will develop, using DevOps practices, pair programming and other cutting-edge methodologies
- Be an active, solution-oriented member of autonomous, cross-functional agile teams collaborating with Product Owners, Front-end Engineers, Designers, and Business Intelligence teams
- Participate in regular technical forums to take part in exploratory initiatives and share knowledge and trends with other Engineers
- Having an in-depth understanding of HelloFresh’s core product and architecture, and act as an ambassador for software solutions offering support and mentorship to colleagues
- Work with state-of-the-art technologies like Kafka, Kubernetes, Istio, and more
- Promote a highly collaborative and team first environment to drive technical excellence with short feedback cycles
What you’ll bring
- Solid back-end experience with Microservice and distributed event-driven architectural patterns
- Preferably proficient in but not limited to Golang, Kotlin/Java, or PHP
- Experience working with Docker and container orchestration technologies such as Kubernetes
- Experience in true Continuous Integration & Continuous Delivery
- Practical experience in the application of advanced design concepts such as DDD
- You thrive in the opportunity to collaborate and mentor team members, while also sharing practical knowledge and trends
- Experience with Extreme Programming Practices like Pairing, Mob/Ensemble Programming, and Test Driven Development
- Strong communication & collaboration skills and being able to cooperate & collaborate with Product, Engineering and other non-tech stakeholders
- Familiarity with payments and financial services industry is a plus
- Familiarity with e-commerce and subscription-based businesses is a plus
- Familiarity with businesses that sell physical goods is a plus
What we offer
- Comprehensive relocation assistance to move to Berlin plus visa application support
- Healthy discount on weekly HelloFresh boxes
- Annual learning and development budget to attend conferences or purchase educational resources plus access to the HelloFresh Academy
- Subsidised childcare with a professional nannying agency
- Free access to Headspace, biweekly in-house yoga classes (remote since March 2020)
- A diverse and vibrant international environment of 70+ different nationalities
- Additional perks include: Free crash course in German, compensation for advanced external German classes, discounts for our neighbouring gym & Urban Sports Club, summer & winter parties, discount on our HelloFresh GO vending machines
- The chance to have a significant impact on one of the fastest-growing technology companies in Europe in an exciting growth phase
Are you up for the challenge?
Please submit your complete application below including your salary expectations and earliest starting date.
After submitting an application our team will review this and get back to you within 5 business days.
For insight into our interview process take a look at our recent post here.