Sr. Thermal Engineer
Blue Canyon Technologies (BCT), a subsidiary of Raytheon Technologies, is leading the way in the New Space revolution! Our state-of-the-art systems are currently on missions from low Earth orbit to the Moon, near earth asteroids, and to Mars. We create high-reliability spacecraft with significantly greater performance, much smaller size and at a fraction of the cost of traditional space systems. We are involved in a wide range of projects for academic, commercial, and government applications. Join our innovative and dynamic company, as we build the small spacecraft of the future.
Position Purpose: The Senior Thermal Engineer will work closely with Systems, Mechanical, and Electrical Engineering staff to develop, test, and implement the thermal solutions needed for spacecraft bus, integrated payload, electronics, and component level designs. The thermal engineer will recommend strategies and solutions to thermal management, including evaluating designs at the space vehicle level, unit or box level, mechanical components, and electronics board junction temperature analyses. Thermal designs must meet requirements including systems in non-traditional, rugged environments
Title: Senior Thermal Engineer
Position Type: Full Time
Pay Range: $75,000 - $150,000
(Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
Location: Boulder, CO
- 100% company paid health, dental and vision benefits for you and your dependents effective the first of the month following hire date
- Life insurance
- 401k (matching 4% with a minimum 5% contribution)
- Generous PTO (3 weeks of vacation + 3 floating holidays, 2 weeks of sick time, 7 paid holidays throughout the year) and parental leave
- Work within a multi-disciplinary development team consisting of thermal, electrical, mechanical, RF, GN&C, systems, and software engineers.
- Develop thermal models to include in quasi-real-time, system-level flight simulation.
- Perform automated simulation analysis with the goal of design/performance optimization and/or uncertainty quantification.
- Contributes to the completion of milestones associated with specific project.
- Create test reports, memos, and presentations on thermal design, test plans, model correlation results, and MLI installation.
- Initiates or participates in short-range or long-range planning and makes independent decisions on engineering policies and procedures within an overall program.
- Gives technical advice to management and operating departments.
- May take detailed technical responsibility for product development and provision of specialized engineering systems, facilities, and functions.
- Manages complex projects or processes with general oversight.
- The senior engineer makes responsible decisions not usually subject to technical review, decides courses of action necessary to expedite the successful accomplishment of assigned projects, and may make recommendations involving large sums or long-range objectives.
- Duties are assigned only in terms of broad objectives and are reviewed for policy, soundness of approach, accomplishment, and general effectiveness.
- The Senior Engineer supervises a group or groups including professional engineers and other staff, or exercises authority and technical control over a group of professional staff, in both instances engaged in complex engineering applications.
- May be responsible for providing guidance, coaching, and training to other engineers.
- Provides input into new products, processes, and standards that will have measurable impact on department objectives.
- May include personnel management responsibilities.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Understanding of aerospace thermal control solutions utilizing passive and active thermal systems.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and assess complex inputs from multiple disciplines including Mechanical, RF, Electrical, Radiation, Materials, Manufacturing and Test.
- Applicant should have a strong working knowledge of MIL-STD-1540 and SMC-S-016 GSFC-STD-7000, MIL-STD-1540, JPL-D-17868.
- Experience with numerical methods and heat transfer.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate with customers to ensure all requirements are being satisfied.
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills for interfacing with multiple customers and senior management.
- Shows initiative by demonstrating personal ownership of designs, seeking input from the Systems and cross functional engineers.
- Can work autonomously, views work with a critical eye, prepares and gives peer reviews of work prior to critical milestones to Understanding of environmental test practices for development of test procedures and processes.
- Experience with Ansys, Solidworks, Thermal Desktop, TD Direct or similar thermal software.
- Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education.
This job operates in a professional office environment, but in a manufacturing company. This role uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, scanners, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time. The employee is occasionally required to stand, bend, reach, and walk. The position requires some light physical effort. This would require the ability to lift or move objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift or move objects up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities are required by this job which includes close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Blue Canyon Technologies is a drug-free workplace and an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other protected factor. Blue Canyon Technologies is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, contact Melissa Po at 720-450-8252 or